2011-08-22

Finished Large Ash Bowl

I posted a while back that I maxed out my lathe when turning a couple bowls out of white ash.  This is the first of them, after finish turning.  It has an area that looks almost burl-esque and the warping combination of heartwood and sapwood is distinctive.  The wood was from where the main trunk split into three smaller trunks.  There's a spot on the inside that looks like it's split apart in a way that somebody tried pinching a piece off the wood, but it's an illusion and is as smooth as the rest of the bowl.  It's finished with 3 coats of gloss lacquer over BLO.

I got extremely lucky when finishing the bottom of this bowl.  I was turning the last nub off the bottom, trying to avoid having to carve it off when the wing of the gouge (which I really wasn't paying attention to, watching instead where the cutting was taking place) caught the waste wood.  In under a heartbeat, the nub broke and the bowl went flying up over my headstock and fell nearly 5 feet to the concrete shop floor!  (Felt like I was paralyzed and that the fall took about an hour, even though the trip off the lathe and over the headstock took 0.00000002 seconds.)  Amazingly, it didn't break and there were no dents or scratches in the bowl!!!  With walls only about 1/4" thick, I definitely consider myself very fortunate to not have a pile of pieces instead of this finished bowl.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null