2011-02-12

Maple Bowl - Early 2011

This is another in a series of posts regarding past projects.  This was done in early 2011.

Here's another leftover piece of wood that I didn't quite know what I was going to do with. The maple was a very odd shape, being 12" wide and only 4" long with a 3/8" 'shelf' on the flat end where the guys cutting the tree down joined two cuts from opposite sides of the branch and they didn't meet up perfectly. Plus, it was severely split, with the cracks extending nearly all the way through in a couple places. I didn't have to cut it up much though, so it's what I used. (Yes, I am in the market for a bandsaw with decent resaw capacity. I freakin hate sawing by hand!!!) After turning it to basic shape, I used a tube of cyanoacrylate to fill up the cracks before clamping it together. I was actually watching the cracks get bigger when getting the glue/clamps ready; at the rate the cracks were expanding, I don't think it would have lasted another 10-15 minutes before splitting into two separate pieces. I then put it back on the lathe and finished turning it. It's still in one piece, so I must have done something right. Don't know how well it shows up in the pictures, but I put a rounded hollow undercut on the bottom before a pedestal-type foot. You can't really see the foot when it's sitting there, so it appears to be floating a quarter inch above whatever it's sitting on - a cool effect that I believe I'm going to try to replicate again in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null