2011-02-12

Spalted Maple Dish - Early 2011

I had a small odd-sized chunk of spalted maple left over from a larger bowl. (It was one of the corners from the half-cylindar split log.) I didn't know what the heck I was going to do with it when I put it on the lathe, but the bowl turned out so pretty that I couldn't just throw it away. Plus, it was so small that I didn't have to do any additional cutting on it - just mounted it up and started turning, ending up with this small dish. Doesn't have much spalting visible on it, but it has a little and has the spalted 'look and feel'. This is also the first project that I used my cole jaws on, so the bottom is nice and smooth, just like the rest of the bowl. The hard pins of the jaws that come with the Wood River chuck dented the rim when I turned the bottom, so I re-turned the very outside rim by mounting it backwards in the cole jaws w/Nova pins and using the tailstock live center with the point removed and a piece of folded rag to hold the bowl to the chuck jaws while turning it. Went as slow as my lathe wood go and took VEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYY light cuts to remove the denting... I really like the cole jaws - only takes about 5 minutes to change out all 4 jaws and I can get the bottoms of my bowls cleaned up and finished like never before




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null