2010-05-26

Next Bowl - May 2010

This is another in a series about past projects.  This was in May 2010.

I roughed out the wood for my second bowl last night. While doing so, I got something in my right eye. I rubbed it a bit, the pain went away, no big deal. (Yes, I had safety glasses on; the new respirator wedges them up so there's a small crack underneath them. I bought a face shield today.) Today at work, my eye kept hurting like there was something in it. I looked in the mirror, moved my eye around, and holy... there's a wood chip still in it!!! It wasn't that small either... no idea how the pain went away and I was able to sleep with it in there.

Anyways, I soaked the bark inclusion with CA to firm it up. Tonight, I mounted it to a waste block with hot melt glue, then threw it on my face plate and went back at it. I re-trued the bowl and then sanded the outside well. Everything was going well.




I started hollowing and all was going well until this happened. Guess the CA didn't work all that well, though the structure of the wood was REALLY compromised by the inclusion.



I thought of slathering a good amount of clear epoxy over the entire chunk and putting it back on, then turning the whole mess. I ended up just turning it down and making another very short bowl out of it.  I then had problems getting it to stay attached to the glue block - note to self to never use hot melt glue for that...  After all was said and done, this is the result.




I hacked off the remainder of the tenon I left for centering with a utility knife, then sanded the bottom on my belt sander. It's definitely not perfect - gotta build a donut chuck so I can turn the bottom of what I turn.


I applied a coat of wipe-on poly after taking the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null