2010-05-02

Next Few Turnings - May 2010


This is a continuation of some of my past projects.  These were completed in May 2010.


Here's the second turning; I called it a keyring, but is probably better classified as another practice stick.


 I then made a chain pull for a lady at work, but didn't take a picture of it. (It looks just like the semi-teardrop shaped one below.) After that, my mother decided that she wanted chain pulls, but wasn't sure what design she wanted. I made one just like the other one, but the skew caught and split out the main shaft (thin part) just before it was done. I then tried another one and went too thin, blowing through the wall into the center hole.

Being more than a little frustrated, I made a mini baseball bat.





I noticed after I was done that there was a semi-loose knot right at the handle. Not sure why it didn't cause a disaster while it was being turned, but I'm not arguing!



  
After succeeding at making something other than shavings/junk, I returned to the chain pulls and came up with several different designs. I showed them to her, but she has yet to make up her mind as to which she likes best. (I didn't sand off the tibits on the ends, just because they're more prototype than anything.)







 I really like this apple wood that I've been turning. The pictures don't show too well (probably because there's no finish on them), but the grain pattern is really wild and the color ranges from nearly white to brown to black streaks to solid dark knots.

At the same time, I both wish that it were green instead of dry so it'd turn better and glad it's not; although frustrating at times, I'm forced to use/develop better techniques to avoid problems and will benefit in the long run. I do wish I had some bigger chunks to try bowl turning, but without a chuck, I'd be forced to use my face plate and waste a good chunk of wood for the screws - nothing I have is even close to being big enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null