2010-04-28

Bought a Lathe, First Turning - April 2010

This is a continuation in a series of posts of my recent projects.  I bought a lathe in April of 2010 and this is the first item I turned.


I set the lathe up on the table in my basement; I'm probably going to build a cabinet-like base for it with storage space rather than use the stand that came with it. I only had a half hour or so, but I went out in the backyard and got one of the pieces of apple branches a friend gave me 2+ years ago (for smoking fish) and put it on the lathe. They're really dry and the ends split several inches in, but it's wood. Wasn't really sure what I was going to make and I ended up with pretty much what I was planning on.

This is the result - my very first turned... thing. Some of the cuts are a bit rough and I'm not quite sure just what one would call it, but it was fun to play. 
I was originally going to put a finer point on it, but the skew caught on one of the deeper splits and broke off the end of whatever this is.


This is the leftover end of the branch I started with:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null