2010-04-24

Small Oak Table with Black Top - April 2010

This is the first in a series of posts about previous projects.  This was done in April of 2010.

This is going to be used as a stand for a black torch style lamp that is currently leaning against the bookcase in my office. This stand will be between the Sauder oak-pattern bookcase and the black filing cabinet, which is why I used this combination.  <I've since been moved to a different office and while this table is still in use, it's very difficult to see.  It's still 100% functional, but a cardboard box would be about the same.>

I originally wanted the legs to be recessed behind the front of the frame, but could not figure out a way to do it on my table saw. (I do not own a router - my shop consists of a drill press, contractor's table saw, scroll saw, belt sander, grinders, and various hand tools.) Since I was unable to hide the tops of the legs, I made them extend up a short distance, both for strength and for appearance.

I used 1x2 oak to construct the legs, resawing and gluing half a strip to make an L-shape for each leg. This makes it appear much lighter than using 2x2 material. I also put a slight taper on each leg for the same reason. I mitered each corner of the rails so that end grain wouldn't show on either the front or sides, even though you'll rarely see the sides where it's going to be. The top is a piece of regular 1/2" plywood (which wasn't really 1/2", even though the label said it was) set flush with the top of the side rails and is not held in by anything but pressure.

The finish really doesn't show up well on the pictures. The top is sprayed with flat black paint and then covered with several coats of polyurethane. The oak got the same polyurethane treatment. I sanded lightly with 400 grit between each coat, then wet-sanded with the same 400 grit at the end before rubbing trewax into the surface with steel wool - turned out VERY smooth. This was the first time I've used poly over paint and must admit that I'm very pleased with the results.

It may not look like it, but there's blood in this table. While sanding, I put a sliver of oak all the way through the pad of my middle finger. Applying the wax, I embedded a thread of steel about 1/4" into my thumb. The former was much more painful, especially since it broke off below the surface and was non-magnetic requiring me to cut it out with a razor blade. The steel wool fragment came right out with a rare earth magnet.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null