2011-04-27

Bought a Bandsaw!

I've been searching all over for a bandsaw in order to cut up wood to put on my lathe. I posted a WTB ad on Craigslist in a last-ditch effort to get one used and avoid dropping a grand on a new one. Got a response and went to look at the machine tonight. I'm now $50 poorer and the owner of a 14" Powermatic bandsaw, model 143. According to somebody who owns the same model, it's from the early- to mid-60s. I'm really surprised at how smoothly it runs, especially considering the condition it's in. It has high and low speeds for cutting wood/metal, with speeds ranging from 40 to 3000 SFPM. There's currently a metal cutting blade on it, albeit extremely rusty. In fact, the entire thing is rusty. The top door doesn't close right, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure out a way to make it work better. Switch doesn't work (you plug it in and it's on) and the cord insulation is really broke up, but I view both these as relatively minor problems.

Here are some pictures of my new acquisition. (Please excuse the mess in the background - it's currently against the shanty sled and fishing cart that's had crap piled on all winter in the garage right now.) Dunno how I'm going to get it into my basement - thing weighs a freakin ton.  Got a bit of work to do before then though...









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null