2011-04-04

Weed Pots - April 4, 2011

I got back on the lathe today and produced these.  I got the idea from watching Russ Fairfield's YouTube video on wax finishing techniques, he presented a similar type of thing and called them weed pots.

They're made out of a piece of a cherry branch a local business trimmed early last summer.  The grain is different than in other cherry pieces I've turned with splotches of different colors.  I took pictures from three different angles on each to show this.  Maybe it's from freezing?

They're both finished with paraffin wax; the larger has a coat of carnuba wax on top of this, which made it smoother and looks nicer.  I really like not having to spend a week applying wipe-on poly, though don't believe this will be nearly as durable.

This is the first one I turned - I think I like the form on this one better than the second.




This one is slightly larger and ended up with a trumpet shape for the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Flames directed to /dev/null